18 March 2007

We'll All Be Safe from Satan

From the "You just can't make this stuff up" file comes news that the Vatican -- the Vatican -- approves of Tom Waits.

That's Tom "I left my Bible by the side of the road" Waits.

Tom "I don't go to Church on Sunday" Waits.

Tom "I feel like a preacher waving a gun around" Waits.

Tom ... well, you get the idea.

Here's an excerpt (but do read the entire, brief article):

Drugs, alcohol and sex: why the Jesuits like Tom Waits
The Times of London
March 17, 2007


Barely a week after Pope Benedict XVI disclosed his dislike for the “prophets of pop” and Bob Dylan in particular, the Jesuits in Rome have embraced Waits as a Christian role model.

The latest issue of
Civilta Cattolica, a Jesuit journal, the contents of which are subject to Vatican approval, says that Waits represents “the marginalised and misunderstood.”

True, but incredible!

I can't resist posting this, my favorite performance from the still-yet-to-be-released-on-DVD Big Time (1988).

No comments: